|North Indian Chicken with Rice |
I have blended all North Indian Curry spices and provide it as a pack with easy to follow instrctions. Each pack comes with sufficient spice mix to make enough North Indian Curry for four to six people. This spice mix works very well with Chicken, Lamb, Beef, Goat and mixed vegetable with potato. You can also create North Indian egg curry (6-8 eggs) using this special blend. Its aromatic flavor results from careful blending of clove, black pepper, black and green cardamoms, cumin, coriander, nutmeg, mace, turmeric and bay leaves.
You will need: 1 Pack of Spice mix, 1” (2.5 cm, ½ Oz or 12.5 gm) fresh ginger, 1 medium onion (8Oz, 225g), 6-8 clove of garlic, 2-3 table spoon (1-1 ½ oz, or 30-45 ml ) vegetable, canola, or light olive oil (not extra virgin olive oil), one 12 Oz can of diced tomato (1 ½ cup or 330g) and 2-2.5 lbs. meat of your choice (1Kg, chicken, beef, lamb or goat ), or 6-8 hard boiled and peeled eggs (for egg curry) or 2-3 lbs. mixed vegetables half of which should be potatoes.
· Cut approximately 2-2.5 lbs (1 Kg) meat, vegetable pieces in approximately 1”(2.5 Cm) and keep it in a mixing bowl. If it is fowl, chicken, or any other bird remove skin before cutting it. If making egg curry then peel 6-8 hardboiled eggs.
o For best results: combine onion, garlic, ginger and puree it. If you don’t have blender then:
· Chop one medium onion (1 Cup, 8Oz, 225g).
· Mince 3-4 cloves of peeled garlic.
· Fine chop or grate 1” (2.5 cm, ½ Oz or 12.5 gm) of peeled fresh ginger.
· Heat 2-3 table spoon oil (1-1 ½ oz, or 30-45 ml) in a pan on medium hot stove to medium hot temperature (carefully look and you will see moving lines or striation on surface of oil)
· Add whole spices to hot oil in pan, stir and wait till you get nice aroma of spices (10-25 seconds depending on heat, be careful not to char spices). Add onion, ginger and garlic to spices and oil in the pan. Scrape pan with wooden or metal spatula, move simmering mix not allowing it to burn at bottom.
· Wait till you can see reappearance of oil in the pan with onion, garlic, ginger and spices. If you using chopped onions then wait onion gets little translucent.
· Add approximately ½ of fine spices to fried onion, ginger and garlic in pan. Mix it well with spatula.
· Add meat, vegetable or eggs and about ½ teaspoon of salt, mix well and let it cook for 5 minutes with occasional stirring.
· Add 1 can (12 Oz, 1 ½ cup or 330g) of diced tomato. Stir contents to mix it well. Cover the pot with lid and let it simmer on low heat. Stir the contents occasionally.
· Taste test by dipping a spoon and tasting the sauce before meat is completely cooked but after sufficient cooking (time will depend on the type of meat, important not to taste test before sufficient cooking). Adjust salt to your taste and add rest of the fine spices.
· Simmer till meat or vegetables are tender, in case of egg curry simmer for 15-20 minute. Garnish with fresh Mint or Cilantro leaves and serve to enjoy with white bread, pita bread or cooked rice. Curry, rice with Vegan vegetable curry and Raita (Check Raita on this blog) makes a typical North Indian meal.